Monday, January 25, 2010

Decorating Kari and Jillian's room part 1: Curtains

First I have to put up a pic of Kari for family. :D

Okay, now that that's out of the way, we have a unique problem up here in AK. It's sunny ALL DAY during the summer and dark ALL DAY during the winter. So I'd made a set of drapes last summer and I'd sewn the blackout liner to it, it just seemed easier, I wouldn't need a double bar rod, ect. WELL, that's all good and fine during the summer, but in the winter it makes her room pitch black all the time. And I like to take advantage of whatever natural light I can SO, This is my solution. Super simple and easy, not to mention cute!! Take your fabric (I used gingham taffeta) cut to size leaving a little extra around the edges for your hems. Hem all edges and use drapery clips! That way, when it's summer, you can just add your blackout liner to the clip. No more sewing, super easy. There's a picture of one side with the liner, and the other without. The difference is pretty easy to see. I've still got to figure out what I want to do on the top but I'm pretty pleased!!!





















1 comment:

  1. That is super nifty! I like the idea of having a liner that can come and go so easy. Not only does it work in AK but some of the apartments we've been in have had windows that get bombarded with light. I'll have to remember this! And you know, fix my sewing machine. It's on the to-do list. Jillian is a nice name btw. Goes with Kari =)

    ReplyDelete