Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday-Cinnamon Rolls!

Okay so on Sunday I wanted to make cinnamon rolls, not too big of a jump, my dad used to make them all the time when I was growing up, and try as I might, I was never able to make mine as good as his. So I was trying to find my recipe, gone. So I go through several of my 30 some odd cookbooks (yes, I collect them, and there's only one I haven't used and that's because it's massive and I feel tired just looking at it) anyway, so I get to the Mormon cookbook. It's a cookbook that some young women put together in a ward from my area when I was also a young women. Bingo! There's like 4 different recipes for cinnamon rolls in there. You can always count on the Mormon cookbook. ;) lol! Anyway, I haven't made cinnamon rolls for a while but I should have realized when it called for 4 Cups of scalded milk that it was going to be a MASSIVE hunk of dough. But I just follow along until the dough is literally falling out of my kitchen aid and I have to pull it out and put it on the counter and knead it old school style. This thing was as big as Garfield, I wish I'd taken a picture. It was massive. So I cut two chunks of it off and stuck them in bread pans. Bonus! That bread was super delish too. And then of course the filling was too much so everytime I cut my sloppy roll (because it was sliding all over the place) it started bleeding sugar, butter and cinnamon all over the counter. That was fun to scrape off. (On a side note, there isn't much difference between the filling and a sugar scrub, weird huh?) Anyway, popped them in the oven and 18 minutes later gorgeous golden, yummy cinnamon rolls as big as my three year old's head. lol! I loved it. Dare I say they were as good as Dad's?


This recipe is by Andy Bleazard from the "Columbia Basin Ward Creations" cookbook.
*Note: Unless you're trying to feed your entire church, I would half or even fourth the recipe. Seriously, no one needs 30 cinnamon rolls. :)

4 C. Scalded milk
1 C. sugar
1 C. oil
4 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 C. warm water
4 Tbsp. yeast
About 14 c. flour

Put milk, sugar, oil and salt in mixer. Add egss and water. Mix yeast and 1 cup flour in small bowl. Add. Add enough flour to make a soft dough; let rise. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes (because mine were so massive, I had to let them cook for 5 minutes longer)
Filling: 2 1/2 cups sugar, 2 cubes butter, 31/2 tablespoons cinnamon, 2 1/2 cups raisens (optional). Melt butter and add other ingredients.

Cream cheese frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 C. margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
2 lb. powdered sugar

Beat all ingredients together.
*note: I used half the butter and it was perfect. Just for you folks that want to cut some fat out of something already super unhealthy. ;) lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment